Sunday, September 19, 2010

Cultural Christians

Yesterday I started reading Eat, Pray, Love, by Elizabeth Gilbert.  I've heard tons of great things about the book, and of course Julia Roberts is in the movie and I enjoy just about anything she's in.  So I borrowed the book a month ago and just now opened it up.  (You know... I've got so much free time.) 
Already I've read some interesting, thought-provoking, and heart breaking things.  I had to put the book down after a few pages and come back to it.  She opens to book describing her first experience in prayer being every month when she realized she wasn't pregnant: "thankyouthankyouthankyou."  Thinking back on the past few years, every month I spent praying "pleaseletmebepregnantpleaseletmebepregnantplease..."  Needless to say, I looked up at Brad and said "I have nothing in common with this woman."  The writing is flawless, however, and her sense of humor is witty and slightly sarcastic so I picked it back up and read on.  That's when I got to the sad part. 
(Before I continue, please be advised that I am in no way a book critic, and am only a few chapters into this book.  Take everything I say with the appropriate grain of salt.)
Gilbert describes herself as a "cultural Christian," which of course means that she is not one.  She is not like so many Americans who think that if they simply believe in a Higher Power and pray when they need something they must be Christians.  Instead Gilbert readily admits that her version of "faith" does not recognize that Christ is the only way to Heaven, and therefore she cannot be called a Christian.  I had to step back and appreciate her acknowledgement of that fact, even if I think a life lived so vaguely must be empty and sad.  She describes instances where she prayed, and specific things she believes about God and prayer, but all of it was so non-specific and absolutely devoid of any relationship.  That is the sad part to me.  I simply cannot picture a life where faith is not the background through which you view relationships and situations.  It's not just about fear of Hell.  Don't get me wrong: if that gets people in the door of a church where they can hear the Word and Truth preached, and thereby come to know Christ personally, then great.  But that idea makes being a Christian about death....  Following Christ is about living!  Not just in Heaven with Him for eternity, but from the very moment that we accept that our life is not our own, that we give up control for a life of the very best God has planned for us, a life far beyond what we can imagine on our own.  Is that simplistic of me?  Perhaps.  I never claimed to be overly intelligent.
I spent the evening (and Addison's 3 am wake-up) dwelling on this.  How many hundreds of thousands of people live on the outskirts of Christianity?  Who make the mistake of thinking that if they believe one tiny aspect of our Faith that they will make it to Heaven?  They are simply missing the boat, and don't even know it.  Or how many more are some form of Universalists, who make the mistake Gilbert claims to have made and choose a vague "belief system" that ultimately gets them nowhere?  I think about this sort of a lot, and pray for people like this, especially those in our church and our youth group.  In fact when I see people who I believe to be in this predicament, or read Gilbert's words last night, my heart actually aches for them.  Not as often as it should, mind you. 

I can't remember who sings the song "Hosanna;" I've heard it at youth camps and retreats... the chorus says "Break my heart for what breaks Yours.  Everything I am for Your Kingdom's cause...." 
There's another song on the radio (I can't remember the name or who sings it) that talks about seeing and feeling and hearing the world's aches as God must see and feel and hear them.  Oh that this would be our prayer: to not just ache for the salvation of our children and friends, but also for all those around us to have a Relationship with the One who seeks them. 

I realize I set this blog up to update family and friends on Addison.  Oops.  Here's an update: she's as cute as ever, slept through the night 4 nights in a row this week, and has rolled over 3 times since yesterday!  Next thing we know she'll be in kindergarten.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment