Thursday, September 16, 2010

Two nights down...

Two nights down.. who knows how many to go?  A couple of weeks ago Addison slept for 6 hours straight for the first time.  Brad and I both woke up to check to make sure she was breathing.  :)  Since then, she's gone 6 hours without eating every 4 or 5 days, but she usually wakes up at least once looking for her pacifier.  Several of those times I wake up around 3am listening for her.  The last two nights, though, we have ALL THREE slept for 6 hours straight!  I feel like a new person!  Addie seems to be more alert and playful, too.  Isn't it so early to be doing that?  I'm sure it won't last, but here's hoping.

Mommies need play-dates too!  Tuesday Addie and I joined some friends for a play-date, but I'm pretty sure the event was more fun for us Mamas than for the babies!  There were 5 mommies, one 16 month old, twin 3 month olds, Addison, and twin six week olds.  Phew!  We were even missing one baby!  Here's a pic from early in the chaos...  How cute?  It was so nice to share stories, hear what other babies are doing at this stage, and laugh with adults!

I never realized what I was missing as a teacher.  Yes, my official day was over at 3, but coaching often made it last till 5 or 6 or later.  The flip side of that early release for most teachers is that you start work early (I was usually there by 6:45), and 20 minutes, at most, for lunch.  This week I enjoyed my first mid-week lunch out with friends!  It was so fun!  I mean, I've obviously gone to lunch with friends before, but always during the summer, or recently with Addie.  We were all baby-less, and sat, talking and laughing until the girls who work had to get back.  I imagine it would really help break up the workday!  I wish there was an opportunity for teachers to do that every once in a while; I'm sure it would make for much more relaxed and rested educators.

I continue to be so thankful for my days!  I can be so much more relaxed and laid back with Addison because we don't have to be on a tight schedule.  On top of that, Brad and I enjoy our time together so much more because one or both of us isn't trying to play "catch up" with the housework, cooking, or shopping for the house after a long day of work.  I admire my friends who are working and being good parents so much... I know it's so difficult to balance all of those different hats!  So, until I have to rejoin the workforce, I'll continue to count my hours of sleep each night, make the most of my "mommy play-dates," and enjoy my evenings with Brad!

No comments:

Post a Comment