Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Fall is Finally Here!

Autumn- how I love thee!  Let me count the ways:

1) The changing weather!  The high was only 75 yesterday, and it was great!  This morning was crisp and cool (the 50s!) and fabulous.  I love how one day it'll be warm, the next day cool, then back again. I love how you can show up for a football game wearing shorts and be comfortable, and the second the sun goes down you're kicking yourself because you should've worn jeans and a sweatshirt.  (Five years of coaching to back this up.)  
2) The changing leaves!  I spent most of our "growing up" years in North Carolina, where late October/early November created some of the most beautiful colors God ever designed!  Fall was something to enjoy, even as little kids.  Now, I admit that living in Florida does not always provide for four distinct seasons, but I take what I can get.  So I get excited when the temperature dips a little, pull out the oxford shirts, light a harvest-smelling candle, prepare to do battle with Brad on whether he can blow it out or not, and pretend that when I look out my window I'll see some new glorious shade of orange or red. 
   
No, she did not wear the hat to bed, but it was too cute to not add for the pictures this morning!
3) The changing decorations!  Yes, I am a dork: I have entirely too many plates and serving pieces, and I thoroughly enjoy changing them out so I can look at all my "pretties."  Fall means switching out my bright stuff for the browns and reds.  On October 1st, Addie wore her Halloween pjs and I got out the Yankee Candle from last year.  (Brad was not home so we could enjoy the candle.)  I got out all our pumpkin decorations over the weekend and re-set the table and china cabinet in honor of my favorite season.  I love looking at and planning decorations so much that I even enjoy how outrageously early the stores begin decorating for Christmas! 

4) Football.  Yes, Brad-I like football... just not for 48 hours straight! 

5) My birthday... I will be 29 this year.  Yikes!  Brad made the mistake of asking me why I was giving him a hard time about turning 30.  "Won't you be 30 in October?"  NOPE!  While 30 may not sound ancient to me, I don't want anyone making me older.

6) Fall in Pensacola also means Tour of Tables!  This is an event that our church puts on for the community each year, by women for women.  Fifty tables are set up in our fellowship hall, decorated by different women from our church, and more than 400 folks enjoy dinner, fellowship, and a guest speaker.  They also provide a lunch "tour," so even more people can hear the speaker.  In addition to the tables we eat and serve from, decorators from different design studios around town present their own tables around the church as well.  I enjoy picking out all the stuff for my table, borrowing some peices from friends and Brad's mom, and putting something together that I may or may not use in the future.  Addison came with me Monday to put my table together and help do some things for the ladies in charge.  She was a little worn out by the time we came home, but she was definitely the cutest decorator there!
Two years ago the speaker was Candace Cameron-- DJ Tanner from "Full House!"  She was a fabulous speaker.  Last year Pam Tebow spoke, and yesterday we heard the ceo of the publishing company that creates magazines like Southern Lady.  Phyllis Hoffman DePiano was funny and encouraging and a great speaker for an occasion like Tour of Tables.  I got to catch up with some sweet friends who I haven't spent time with in a while, and get to know a few new ones.  It was a great evening!
Here is a picture of Addison this morning.  She's wearing an outfit that 3 middle school guys from the youth group bought her... does anyone else find it hilarious that some 8th grader boys did this?

No comments:

Post a Comment