Monday, July 18, 2011

the Holy Spirit at work...

You know that saying "God works in mysterious ways."  Well, sometimes He doesn't.  At least sometimes he doesn't speak in mysterious ways.  Good grief.  I've mentioned that I'm reading Francis Chan's Forgotten God. (Yes, I'm still reading it... it's taking me a while.)  The chapter + that I read today has totally kicked my butt!  I lost my place, so I re-read some stuff that I totally needed to read/learn/be reminded of today.  If you're like me and the "little things" can sometimes dictate how your day goes - a fussy baby, a dog with allergies, a messy house, a question about the future, a disagreement with your husby, a doubt that you're making the right decision for your child- then some of this is for you too:
from Chapter 5 "A Real Relationship"
"This is the Spirit of God choosing you and me to be His dwelling place.  That means... the Spirit of the living God is inside me.  I might wake up on a particular day feeling physically tired or stressed or impatient, and humanly speaking, those things would probably define my day.  But the reality is that I am indwelt by the Holy Spirit.  And because of this reality, stress and tiredness and impatience don't have to define my day.


"If you have received by faith the promise of the Holy Spirit, you are also His temple.  As you drive your children to school.  As you go to work every day.  As you embark on a new, unknown season.  As you face tragedy and pain.  As you buy groceries.  As you give of yourself in relationships.  As you walk the dog.  As you make decisions.  As you live your life, the Holy Spirit is dwelling in you."

So, I guess that means I should be folding laundry and mopping the floors with vigor, instead of begrudgingly?
from Chapter 6, "Forget About His Will for Your Life"
"There are very few people in the Scriptures who receive their life plan from God in advance (or even their 5-year plan, for that matter). Consider Abraham who was told to pack up his family and all his possessions and start walking... A lot of us need to forget about 'God's will for my life.' God cares more about our response to His Spirit's leading today, in this moment, than what we intend to do next year.  In fact, the decisions we make next year will be profoundly affected by the degree to which we submit to the Spirit right now, in all of today's decisions."


Does that make you think "wow"?  It does me.  In fact, it stops me in my tracks.  I get caught up daily in the stuff around the house, whether or not Addison needs more sleep or more to eat, whether I have a God-honoring marriage, whether I should go to the gym or take Addie to the park.  I'm not sure I've ever considered those in the scope of God's immediate, here-and-now will for my life.  When I pray, I pray for future stuff; Addison's salvation, my marriage, our future kids, our future ministry, etc.  I pray for immediate needs I know about, but not like Chan's talking about.  
I definitely needed to read this today.  I hope it means something to you, too.


I have a one year old.  Addison is amazing.  She tries to repeat everything: words, animal noises, Rosco's barks.  She's walking all over the place, trying to tell us what she wants, and being specific with how she plays with her toys.  I can't believe that only a few months ago she could barely sit up.  Now she's a healthy, happy, smart toddler.  Time flies when you're having fun.  

1 comment: