Thursday, November 1, 2012

Motherhood Favorites

So, it's been a long day.  Today started out with two poop accidents in big girl undies, while I was on the phone with the cable company.  (Collective "eeewwwwee!")  As I wrapped up an unhelpful phone call and tried to clean up post-Halloween-we-had-too-much-candy-poop in Addison's big girl britches without losing my cool, I took a deep breath.  (Because yes-you read that correctly-we're the only nut jobs dumb enough to potty train a two year old with a new born in the house.)  Tuesdays and Thursdays are supposed to be the easy days!  The days where I get a few hours with just Audrey and I while Addison's at mom's morning out.  Where I might actually get a workout and/or shower completed.  Where the house might not sound like a herd of elephants running all morning, or a tornado coming through.  While trying to listen to the Charter Communications lady and Addison at the same time, I decided that today would not be one of those Thursdays, and I gritted my teeth to get ready.
we fit in some snuggle time this morning... check out these cheeks!
One trip to Wal-Mart, one cuddle session with Audrey, an un-finished workout, two more gross changes, and two extremely loud Charter Cable guys (precious nap-time-wreckers) later, the house is still standing.  The Lord provided a seemingly endless morning for me to get most of what I wanted to accomplish done, and me with enough energy and patience to take it all in stride.  Funny how that happens, huh?  When you think that surely you're gonna lose it, God blesses you with an extra dose of sanity.  Some surplus perspective to be able to laugh at the fact that your two year old is in bed calling "ALL ABOARD!" to all of her stuffed animals individually (apparently there is an separate train coming for each of them), instead of sleeping.  A super-strong anti gag-reflex so that the endless laundry from a new born and a potty-training toddler doesn't overwhelm you.  God is so good.  And He is enough.  And He is faithful.

Here are some recent pictures of us enjoying this beautiful fall.
 

running around Samford with my sweet nephew Holmes
Fall Festival time!
I love strawberries... and when kiddos match... and these two gals!
First time trick-or-treating as a family of four
"Mommy!  Look at all my candy!"
So while I'm thinking about the good and the bad of mothering two babies, I wanted to share a few of my favorite things about motherhood.  (These are not in order.  And it's not a complete list.)
~ Nap time.  It doesn't happen often for me, but it's an elusive dream that I get to enjoy every once in a while.
~ Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches.  I can finally eat them every day without feeling silly.
~ Hugs and kisses.  The kind I don't have to ask for.  
~ Coloring.  I love coloring.  And new crayons.  Maybe more than my two year old.
~ Leg warmers.  That's right.  Between Audrey's leg warmers and Addison's outfit for mommy and me ballet, its like a 1980s workout video around here.

~ The library.  I can now love the library (as I always have) without sounding like such a nerd.  Instead I call it "instilling a love for reading."
~ When Addie says "I wanna howld you Mama!"  Too sweet.
~ Bed head.
~ The way a baby falls asleep the second you hold her tight.  It makes me so sad that Audrey is growing so fast!  I fear she will out grow this stage soon.
~ Motherhood itself.  I finally understand why my dad cries every time we leave.  Or they leave.  Or we hug.  It's overwhelming.  This feeling puts the love God must have for us into perspective.  I understand it a teeny bit better, and am so thankful and overwhelmed at the same time.  Like, I get how He must long for the day when this time on Earth is over and we can be with Him eternally in Heaven.  And it makes me equal parts want it to come so I can be with Him, and want time to slow down so I can cherish time with my gals.


Rest time is over.  I was about to post this when I heard a thump and Addison start yelling "Mommy! Help me!" over and over.  I ran in to find her crying, and hanging upside-down from the side of the bed.  She can flip off, but not back on.  I'm the terrible mom who laughs at her kids.



No comments:

Post a Comment