Friday, November 18, 2011

Things I forgot to enjoy...

Well, we have officially been Birminghamians (Birminghamites?) for one week.  We are over the stomach bug - phew! - have all the boxes stored or unpacked, and have moved stuff around in our kitchen 3 times.  Busy week!  As we have been running to the store (I have been to Wal-Mart 5 times in 7 days!), trying out the library, and exploring our house and neighborhood, I've been reminded of some things I forgot to enjoy while I had them...
1. Not-white kitchen and bathroom floors.  Seriously folks... who in the world ever thought that textured white linoleum in the kitchen was a good idea???  I am going to have to mop these things every day!

2. A quiet house.  I kinda thought our home in Pensacola was noisy.  NOPE!  Yesterday A woke up early from a nap.  In order to get her to go back to sleep I had to be completely silent: no drying my hair, starting dinner, watching TV, talking to the phone, or anything.  I didn't really appreciate how nice a quiet, non- squeaky-floor, -creaky-doors, well insulated house was!

3. A quiet corner lot.  I love, love the location of this rental.  We can literally walk one block to a pharmacy, coffee shop, ice cream shop, pizza place, Mexican food, BBQ, and shops!  It's so close to everything!  However, that means lots of traffic.  When the near-by middle school lets out, we get lots of kids in our front yard!  Poor Rosco is going to have blood pressure issues from barking!  The teacher in me almost came out yesterday when this chubby kid was walking back from the ice cream parlor and came within two feet of our front steps.  He almost walked right into A!  I considered giving him a "talkin-to," but thought better of it.

4. Play dates on rainy days.  I mean, I enjoyed these things every time we met with our friends.  This week it rained for two days straight... A and I thought we would go crazy!  We missed friends nearby we could meet to take up a few hours with.
Here are a few snaps from our last play date before leaving town:


 So I miss all the things I forgot to enjoy in Pensacola, and hope we find some of them again when we find a place of our own here in town.  In the mean time, we're coming up with a new schedule, which today involved keeping A up a little past her naptime.  She let me know when she was tired, though.

Happy Thanksgiving!  Or, as Addie would say "gobble gobble"

No comments:

Post a Comment