Wednesday, May 11, 2011

It's tough being the center of attention...

Not me; Addison.  Not to brag, but I often think that my kid is the coolest thing ever.  (Although at this moment she's fake-crying in her bed because she doesn't want to take a nap.  This part is not cool.)  Apparently other people agree.  It seems like everywhere we go people are so considerate and nice and loving towards Addison... even on an airplane where she bugged the woman next to us and fussed for the entire 40 minute flight, our neighbors were very accommodating.  Folks in restaurants comment or smile at us; while walking through a grocery store, people stop to wave back at Addie - she can be very persistent. 

Last weekend Brad, Addison, and I flew to Charleston to meet my family and celebrate my brother's graduation from college.  Between the commissioning ceremony (Drew is now a 2nd Lt. in the US Army - that's crazy!), a parade during a rain storm, a long fancy dinner, graduation, and lots of time in the car, Addie sat threw a lot of not-fun stuff for her!  She was so good.  She was not actually the center of attention - after all the weekend was about Andrew.  She did get a lot of love and attention.  Well, I guess everyone did. 

With the exception of a very stuffy waiter Saturday evening - who obviously was not used to kiddos and looked nervous the second we asked for a high chair - people everywhere were accommodating.  I really expected to get dirty looks and to be one of a few babies around all this college graduation stuff, but there were a lot of babies.  Addie was pretty great.  She didn't sleep a lot, and it caught up with us on the way home on Sunday.  Happy Mother's Day to me.  :)  It was a yuck way to end a fun, short weekend.  Too short to enjoy my parents and grandparents, and to watch my goofy brother-in-law torture my pregnant sister, and to ship my brother off to his life in the Army.  Sigh. 

We worked on Addison's immune system for a few hours Sunday, as she crawled and walked all around the Atlanta airport.  Speaking of the airport: I had a hard time finding a TV that was showing the news.  I thought that was weird; they usually have tons of TVs with CNN or something on throughout the terminal.  When I got home and realized that there had been 3 planes diverted due to suspected terror alerts, I was first thankful that it wasn't one of the planes I had been on, then amused that the ATL folks apparently were nervous about what we passengers would do if we heard about terror threats.  I guess they thought we'd revolt or something.  Funny, but in an ironic way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment